Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Make a Pillow without measuring


Today I made this beautiful floral pillow, without even measuring!
wanna know how...?

I used a placemat! 
I love placemats, but with 2 little boys I never use cloth ones, cause I'd be washing them after each use!
I found these a while back on clearance at target and fell in love with the print. I also bought the coordinating napkins, which will either become large square pillows or basket liners.

Now because these palcemats have a backing you could just snip a little hole and fill it with pillow fluff and be done but I wanted these to match with the rest of my pillows so I chose to back them with my favorite tan ticking from Jo-ann's fabric.

So here's how you do it with out measuring, because sometimes placemats are just a little crooked and it's just a lot easier this way. 
Lay the placemat on top of your ironed backing fabric wrong sides together. Leaving about an inch all the way around, cut out your backing

Fold backing fabric over the top of the placemat and lightly iron to mark where your seam will be. Lift up the edge of the placemat and fold it back then fold the backing over itself and iron a nice crease. repeat on the other 3 sides, and don't forget to fold the corners to 45 degree angles.
with all your edges creased your backing should be the same exact size as your placemat and all ready to sew.

Sew about 1/2" in from the edge to make a flanged pillow leaving a hole the size of your hand at the bottom to fill the pillow. Fill with desired pillow fluff and sew the hole closed either by hand or carefully on your sewing machine (like I do).

toss the pillow on the couch you and enjoy!











Peace and clearance placemats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A kind word always brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...